Gather with your fellow creators and tinkerers to create and learn in our exciting Makerspace. High-tech tools and art materials will help you embrace the DIY spirit in an engaging, state-of-the-art environment. Whether you're looking to refine a skill, share a creative experience with others or use tools to solve a problem, you'll find ample opportunity to discover and try new things.
Go on a video tour of the Makerspace!
Makerspace Librarian Cady for general inquiries, laser cutting and sewing at firstname.lastname@example.org
Library Assistant Josh for 3D printing and 1-on-1s at email@example.com
Library Assistant Joah for Teen Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org
Attend a one-on-one session! Library staff will work with you for an hour to show you a machine or help you develop a plan for making your own project. Learn a new skill or tool in this low-pressure environment. Contact email@example.com or register on the events calendar to make your appointment. At this time, we only accept 1-on-1 appointments with patrons ages 16+. Patrons may register for up to two (2) sessions of 1-on-1 Makerspace appointments.
Attend an Event!
We offer Makerspace workshops for teens and adults. Learn from a professional while working on a unique project. Library events are always free for participants. Registration is usually required.
Open Hours are back! You no longer need to register to attend.
Double check the events calendar or call the reference desk at 607-272-4556 to ensure that Open Hours are being held before you make the trip.
Weekly Schedule (pending staff availability)
Make whatever you want independently during Open Hours, or take advantage of the knowledge of staff and volunteers who are happy to help. Stay for a while or just stop by to see what’s happening.
Share What You've Made!
Did you make something awesome in the Makerspace? We want to see it! Tag us @tcplny on Instagram. Hearing from patrons inspires us and helps us know what YOU want to see at the library.
Makerspace Equipment Options
During one-on-one learning experiences and programs, you may experiment with TCPL's raw materials free of cost. If you plan to make multiples or create a large project, please plan to bring your own raw materials.
Epilog Legend Helix 50 Watt Laser Cutter/Engraver
- View our Epilog YouTube tutorial! (Quiz mentioned in video is no longer necessary)
- Swiftly cut out or engrave various materials up to size 24 x 18 inches. We have birch plywood, tag board, fabric, and limited acrylic on hand, or bring your own. Ask the library staff about approved materials.
- Inkscape vector software
- Accepted file types for cutting are .SVG or .AI; .JPEG and .PNG will work for engraving. We will print from a PDF.
Brother Innovis 6400D Embroidery Machine
- Learn how to set up and run computerized embroideries.
- Learn with our scrap fabric or bring your own
- Use the Ink/Stitch plug in on Inkscape to design your own embroideries
- Accepted file type is .PES
Prusa 3D Printers
- Watch our tutorial
- Ideal for high definition small print jobs, like miniatures
- Print a small design using PLA plastic
- TinkerCAD software
- We offer two MK3S+ model and one MINI model printers.
Cricut Explore Air 2 & Cricut Maker
- Cut sticker vinyl, paper, iron-on and more with this easy to use tool
- Cricut Design Space software basics will be covered to design and send your print
- Cricut Maker can also cut fabric!
Bookbinding Press (for printmaking with lino or wood blocks)
- Bring your own pre-carved blocks, or laser cut a wooden design.
Singer basic sewing machines
- Learn to sew
- Practice with our stash of thread and donated fabric.
Craft tools/ Art supplies/ Jewelry supplies and beads/ Needle felting supplies