Coming February 1 - Expanded Mail Delivery Service!
Tompkins County Public Library’s Library by Mail service provides books, audiobooks, DVDs, CDs, and magazines to homebound residents of Tompkins County who are physically unable to visit the Library. Patrons registered with the Library by Mail service may receive up to two (2) items at a time delivered by the US Postal Service to their residence.
If you can’t come to TCPL, then TCPL will come to you! With a diverse and current selection of fiction and nonfiction, you are sure to find something that meets your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible for this program?
To be eligible for Library by Mail, you must meet all three of the following criteria:
- Live within the boundaries of Tompkins County
- Possess or be willing to sign up for a Tompkins County Public Library card or possess a library card from the Southworth Library Association, Groton Public Library, Lansing Community Library, Newfield Public Library, or Ulysses Philomathic Library.
- Unable to get to the library
Typical qualifiers may include those:
- Temporarily or permanently homebound and/or in a convalescent home
- Concerned and/or at risk due to the current COVID-19 pandemic.
- Experiencing difficulty getting to the library due to a disability or age-related mobility issues
How do I request materials?
Materials can be requested by placing a hold online at https://catalog.flls.org/polaris/default.aspx?ctx=59.1033.0.0.3 or by calling +1 (607) 272-4556 and speaking with a librarian.
What kinds of materials can I borrow?
Books, audiobooks, DVDs, CDs, and magazines.
How many items can I borrow at a time?
Two (2) items at a time may be borrowed. Search the online catalog at https://catalog.flls.org/polaris/default.aspx?ctx=59.1033.0.0.3 or call to talk and a librarian will help you: +1 (607) 272-4556.
How long can I keep the items?
The lending period is three weeks, and are renewable online or by calling the Library‘s circulation department at +1 (607) 275-1554.
What if I am late returning items?
TCPL does not charge fines for late items, but others may be waiting for the items you have.
Who pays for postage?
We do! Funding for this program has been provided by a generous grant from Cornell University.
What if items are lost or damaged?
You are responsible for the cost of any lost or damaged items.
How do I sign up?
Do I need a Tompkins County Public Library card to participate?
Yes. If you don‘t have one, you can fill out the application online at https://catalog.flls.org/polaris/patronaccount/selfregister.aspx?ctx=59.1033.0.0.3 or call Keith at +1 (607) 272-4557 x242.