Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) Policy
Tompkins County Public Library as a New York State municipal library complies with the New York
Freedom of Information Law (Public Officers Law, Article 6, Section 87, Freedom of Information Law).
A person may request information and records available to the public in the following manner:
- Use the Freedom of Information Law request form (below). Direct the request to the following address:
Records Access Officer (or Library Director)
Tompkins County Public Library
101 E. Green Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
- Specify the records requested to be disclosed for inspection or to be copied. If you desire that any records be certified, you must specify which ones.
- Reimburse us our actual costs for reproducing and certifying (if requested) the records. You will be charged the following fees: $0.25 per page for employee-copied records, and $1.00 per page for certification of records.
- The Records Access Officer or Library Director will respond to a written request within five working days or sooner if possible. An extension of an addition 15 working days may be necessary to properly respond and if so, the reason for this extension will be explained.
- Records may be available for inspection in person at no cost and by appointment. An employee must be present throughout the inspection.
- Make an appeal about the decision of the FOIL officer to the president of the Board of Trustees, using the Freedom of Information Law Appeal form (attached).
Information about the Freedom of Information Law can be obtained from the Committee on Open Government:
Committee on Open Government
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Avenue, Suite 650
Albany, NY 12231
Telephone (518) 474-2518
Fax (518) 474-1927
To complete the form, click here.